The benefits of apples for the human body are enormous. An apple is one of the tastiest and most affordable fruits. It is almost impossible to overestimate the beneficial properties of an apple for humans: it is a real treasure trove of vitamins and minerals, the balance of which in the body contributes to its rejuvenation and is the basis of strong immunity.
The benefits of apples for the body
A healthy apple contains:
- water – 80-90%;
- fiber – 0.6%;
- sugar – 5-15%;
- pectin – 0.27%;
- starch – 0.9%;
- folic and organic acids;
- vitamins – A, B1, B2, B3, C, E, P, PP, K;
- trace elements – sodium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, copper, zinc, calcium, aluminum, fluorine, chromium, iron, magnesium, molybdenum, nickel, boron, vanadium, manganese.
Vitamins in apples
Apples are useful for absolutely everyone – both healthy people and those who suffer from various diseases. Freshly picked apples are rich in vitamins. Let’s see what the benefits of apple vitamins and minerals are:
- Vitamin A in apples is 50% more than in oranges – this vitamin helps to ward off colds and other infections and maintains good eyesight.
- There is more vitamin G or B2 in apples than in any other fruit. It is called the “appetite vitamin” and it promotes normal digestion and growth and maintains the integrity of the nervous system.
- Vitamin C – one sour apple is a quarter of the daily value of the vitamin; the best remedy for the prevention of infectious diseases, vitamin deficiency and anemia, an indispensable element in collagen synthesis, regulation of blood coagulability, normalization of blood vessels. Thanks to vitamin C, apples have anti-inflammatory effects. Vitamin C has a beneficial effect on the immune system, strengthens the walls of blood vessels, reduces their permeability to toxins, relieves swelling, and promotes rapid recovery after a long illness.
- Potassium – This trace mineral is a mild diuretic. It helps to relieve swelling of the body, regulates fluid content and normalizes kidney function.
- Iron is the best remedy for anemia. Moreover, a distinctive quality of iron in apples is its good biological assimilation. Iron-rich apples are especially beneficial for children and pregnant women.
- Phosphorus – effectively stimulates brain activity and is an indispensable element for eliminating insomnia.
- Zinc is an excellent helper in strengthening the immune system. In addition, zinc has been shown to aid in weight loss.
- Pectins – give the body resistance to salts of heavy metals, toxic and radioactive substances (especially shown to workers in hazardous industries), and also remove excess cholesterol from the liver.
- Iodine – its amount in apples is much higher than in any other fruit (apples are second only to seafood in iodine), an excellent prophylactic agent for thyroid diseases.
- Magnesium salts – reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Tannins – a good prophylactic agent for urolithiasis, gout.
- Folic acid – dulls the feeling of hunger, which is why apple fasting days are so popular and useful.
- Organic acids – malic, tartaric, citric: they prevent fermentation in the intestines, prevent flatulence and bloating.
IMPORTANT: The more apples lie, the less vitamins you get. It is best to use fresh fruits in their natural form or grated on a coarse grater. Small, sour and wild apples are most useful. They contain ten times more nutrients than glossy fruits. Of course, fresh apples are most useful, but even during heat treatment they do not lose their nutritional and energy value.
Useful properties of apples
1. Benefits of apples to protect against Alzheimer’s disease
Studies in mice have shown that fresh apple juice protects against brain aging, thereby preventing the onset of Alzheimer’s. Mice that were heavily fed apples had higher levels of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter associated with memory functions. The results of mice on a diet with an increased intake of apples during the passage of the maze were higher than the results of the same trial in mice that did not consume apples. Thus, apples are useful for improving and preserving memory, as well as preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Benefits of apples for cancer prevention
Scientists from the American Association for the Study of Cancer have concluded that regular consumption of apples can reduce the likelihood of pancreatic cancer by 23%. Scientists at Cornell University have found that apple peels contain compounds that prevent the growth of cancer cells in the liver, mammary gland and colon. Previous studies have shown that freshly squeezed apple juice, which is actively included in the diet of rats, prevents them from developing breast cancer. In rats that ate 6 apples a day, the risk of developing breast cancer was reduced by 44%.
3. Benefits of apples for cholesterol protection
Apples are good for preventing high cholesterol levels. Even if the level is already increased, eating apples leads to a decrease. After all, the soluble fiber contained in apples binds fats in the intestines, which protects against cholesterol and helps to reduce it. Eating 2 apples a day can quickly reduce cholesterol levels by 16%. And the apple diet reduces blood cholesterol by 30%.
4. The benefits of apples for the cardiovascular system
Sour apples are richer in vitamin C, they have a beneficial effect on the immune system, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, reduce their permeability to toxins, relieve swelling, and promote rapid recovery after a long illness. Apples are beneficial for low blood pressure and vascular hardening because they are a powerful blood purifier. Apples are good for the heart and blood vessels, because the less cholesterol, the healthier the cardiovascular system. If blood vessels are clogged with cholesterol, there is a high likelihood of developing coronary heart disease. Apples protect against cholesterol by lowering cholesterol levels.
5. Useful properties of apples for the gallbladder
Drinking at least one apple a day protects against the formation of gallstones. Apples help prevent gallbladder disease: having a mild choleretic effect, they help prevent gallstone disease and cholecystitis. If you already have problems with the gallbladder, then do not forget to use freshly squeezed apple juice – half a glass or a glass 15-30 minutes before meals.
6. Benefits of apples to protect against diabetes
Apples have a tonic, invigorating, refreshing effect on the body. Fruits with a low sugar content affect fluctuations in blood sugar, they are indicated for patients with diabetes. Women who eat at least one apple a day are 28% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. Soluble fiber in apples reduces blood sugar fluctuations.
7. Benefits of apples for postmenopausal women
Only apple contains the flavonoid phloridzin, which increases bone density. And this is very important for women during this period, which is characterized by the risk of developing osteoporosis. Apples also contain boron, which also strengthens bones.
8. Useful properties of apples for asthma
A study by the Nottingham Research Institute found that eating 5 apples a week can help reduce respiratory disease (including asthma). Also, studies have shown that children with asthma are more likely to tolerate the disease if they regularly drink apple juice. It is very useful for pregnant women to eat a lot of apples – thanks to apples, future children reduce the risk of developing asthma.
9. Benefits of apples for digestion
The fibers that apples contain improve digestion. They are equally effective for constipation (fibers cleanse the intestines) and diarrhea (fibers absorb excess moisture). The use of apples is to normalize the stool. Apples contain such important natural acids as malic, tartaric and citric, and in combination with the same tannins, these acids stop the processes of decay and fermentation in the intestines, make it possible not to feel flatulence, bloating, and contribute to the natural cleansing and restoration of the intestines. And a healthy gut is the key to longevity and health. Thanks to pectin, apples act as a very mild and completely safe laxative. To prevent constipation, it is best to eat one or two sour apples in the morning on an empty stomach. What’s more, apples have been shown to contain substances that stop the growth of cancer cells in the intestines and liver. So in case of intestinal problems, in addition to 1-2 apples on an empty stomach, it will be useful to eat 1-2 apples during the day.
10. Useful properties of apples for weight loss
Apples are low in calories. In 100 gr. fresh apple contains only 47 kcal. The product is practically devoid of fat, but it contains carbohydrates, which allows a person who has consumed an apple to maintain a feeling of fullness for a long time. Great for those who want to lose weight and those who are on a diet. 100 g baked apples contain almost 66 kcal and will also not harm the figure. But at 100 gr. dried apples 253 kcal, so do not get carried away with them if you want to keep your weight. To reduce weight, you should arrange fasting days 1-2 times a week, and once a month will be enough for prevention. And you also need to know the following nuances:
- First, you need to determine which varieties are right for you, since with high acidity you cannot eat sour apples, and with low acidity they are quite appropriate.
- Grated fruits are better absorbed, but do not peel them off as they contain more nutrients underneath.
- On a diet, it is best to eat fresh apples or after minimal heat treatment.
11. The benefits of apples for the liver
Apples cleanse this organ – by eating apples, we thereby carry out a detoxification procedure for our liver. What’s more, apples have been shown to contain substances that stop the growth of cancer cells in the intestines and liver.
12. Apples – for healthy teeth
By consuming an apple after a meal, especially a carbohydrate one, we clean off plaque from the teeth and clean the interdental spaces. This protects our teeth from caries. Of course, an apple is not a substitute for a toothbrush, but during the day a hard apple does the job of cleaning your teeth.
Finally, the apples are delicious. Eat apples and be healthy!